Thursday, July 24, 2008

How to Make Burritos in Africa

The other day I thought it would be a good idea to make a big batch of bean and cheese burritos to freeze for quick meals, especially when I get home late in the evening and am hungry. Sounds easy enough to make, right? All you need is refried beans, onions, cheese, and tortillas. Not so easy in a developing country where some of these things aren't available and where life is unpredictable. It turned out to be a very long project to make these burritos! Here's the steps I had to take:
1)Pick out the good beans from the dirt and broken beans
2)Soak the beans
3)Make the dough for the tortillas
4)Stop to greet a visitor
5)Make tortillas
6)Stop for my Hausa language lesson
7)Pressure cook the beans
8)Wash dishes
9)Stop to greet another visitor
10)Make refried beans out of the beans
11)Wash more dishes
12)Fry onions and beans
13)Shred cheese
14)Stop to visit a friend
15)Make and bake burritos
16)Wash even more dishes
17)Put burritos in freezer and hope for enough electricity to freeze them
18)Wonder why I went to so much trouble in the first place!
Well, I think they turned out pretty good, so it was worth it!

No comments: