This is a follow-up on my last entry. There are certain things here that I've come to dislike...alot.
1.Cockroaches. Who's a fan of cockroaches, anyway? Scientists? Well, I'm not a scientist and I don't like cockroaches, especially since I found that my new apartment had a large family of them living there. My first night here, it seemed like there was a cockroach hiding in every corner. My house-helper, Bala, went and bought some spray and has killed many a cockroach since then. I left for a weekend, so he came and sprayed in the kitchen and told me later that cockroaches started coming out from under the sink and by the time he was done, there were at least 50 dead cockroaches on the floor! Yuck!
2.Loudspeakers. Not the small kind you find in church. The large kind people hang up on the sides of buildings to make sure people can hear the event from blocks away. There is a church across the road from me who has a set of these loudspeakers, and they broadcast every event on them: Bible studies, weddings, church services, and a once-a-month all night prayer vigil, in which the church band rocks out all night and into the morning with very loud praise music.
3.Humidity. This is a very dry area of the country, but right before rainy season, it gets really humid. We can always tell when it has rained in another city because it gets humid and sticky. I feel constantly wet!
4.Drums. Not to put down any of you who like them or play them. But there has been drum practice for the last couple of weeks everyday for (I kid you not) about 5 hours a day. I wondered how and why one could practice the drums that long. And I had no idea where the sounds of the drums where coming from. So finally, I went to my backyard and peeked over the wall. In the middle of the field behind my house, there was a guy at a big red drumset playing away! Perhaps he has nothing better to do. Funny scene to see a guy in a field playing the drums; not so funny to have the sound of drums in my ears for five hours a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment