The other day, my friend Sue and I were discussing food. We both live on the same street as an African-run Christian guesthouse that serves meals during the day. Since we both are busy until about 1 pm and it's too hot by then to want to cook, we were trying to figure out some good meal options other than running home to make our own lunches. Sue decided to try out the guesthouse food, and informed me that she ordered a couple of meals for her and her husband for very cheap. I asked her if it was good, and she smiled and gave a very reserved, "Yes."
Then she told me that they put several chunks of meat in the soup, and it was very good meat (sometimes it's hard to find really good tender meat here). But the problem was that she couldn't figure out if it was chicken or beef. I began to chuckle when I heard this. As missionaries, we are used to eating "mystery meat". When they finished eating (thankfully they finished before asking questions about the meat!), her husband Terry asked an African friend what kind of meat it was. Before he could answer, Terry made a guess: "Was that meat Grass Cutter?" The friend answered back, "Yes".
Sue began to laugh as she was telling this story, and I was a little puzzled at what "Grass Cutter" was. I couldn't even guess at what it was, and then she told me. Grass Cutter is a large rat (sorry to those of you who might have been eating while reading this post!). People here have Grass Cutter farms and raise them for the meat. They feed them grass and other plants, hence the name. I had never heard of this before, but it totally grossed me out. (Eeeew, yuck, doesn't it just churn your stomach?) Sue and I laughed hysterically over her "Grass Cutter eating" experience. She warned me that if I wanted to go to the guest house and eat, to ask before ordering "Can you give me chicken or beef?" No kidding. I think I'll stick with cooking lunch for myself for a while.
1 comment:
That is a great story Mary! Got a good laugh out of it ;) Is the girl from Hong Kong (I can't think of her name but she moved to Kano while I was there, I can picture her face) still in Kano? She was living across the street from the guest house. I hope you're enjoying settling in and experiencing "good stories". Miss you Mary! Love you!
Post a Comment